Tue 06 Oct 2020
First of all, an introduction of new Staff. Debbie Curtin joined the team late July 2019 as the Learning Supervisor. She has been teaching students and working alongside Emily Weare. Sadly Emily left Find a Voice at the end of January for new adventures in helping her partners business.
Paul Hewitt joined the team in September 2019 as the Interim General Manager as Debbie Burden departed as General Manager to open a café in Headcorn. We have since visited with the Social Club and I confess, the cake is worth the visit!
Before we parted for the Christmas break, our social group had a trip out to the Reindeer Centre. We all met Santa and received an early Christmas present! Afterwards we went to feed the reindeer and looked at lots of other animals. Jo was very excited to hold a very big snake! Paul was not so excited...
We had a very successful Staff and Student Christmas Lunch at the Pheasant, Trinity Rd, Ashford. Some students may have had second helpings of turkey!
On our return in January we were all very busy… Our social group enjoyed a trip out to play ten pin bowling. Everyone had fun and the competition among the group (and staff!) was fierce!
We were thrilled to award students with certificates recognising their recent achievements. This was our first cohort in our new AQA Unit Award Scheme and so it was an especially proud occasion.
- Peter received a certificate for the fascinating unit, Introduction to Roman Soldiers and Tactics
- Mark for Microwave Cookery: Chocolate Brownies and Time: Weekly Events
- Alex received four(!) certificates: Coin Recognition, Introduction to Ten Pin Bowling, Money (Unit 1) and Time: Weekly Events
- Charlotte gained three certificates; Basic Baking with Assistance: Sponge Cake, Introduction to Ten Pin Bowling and Making Pizza with Support
- Jo’s certificates recognised her achievements in Basic Baking with Assistance: Sponge Cake, Introduction to Ten Pin Bowling and Microwave Cookery: Chocolate Brownies
They all worked hard and were fully deserving of their success… and as an extra bonus, Debs confirmed that the sponge cakes and brownies were delicious!